Saturday, June 25, 2011

Key Lime Pie

As I was walking through the grocery store this afternoon, I spied some key lime pies on the shelf that got my mouth watering. As much as I may be tempted to buy premade treats, I am always halted by the memory of my mother's homemade creation. Its cool, creamy texture and tart taste are refreshingly perfect for a hot summer's day. Once again, thank you Mama for this family favorite! (My brother is so jealous right now)

8oz sour cream
2 8oz pkgs of cream cheese, room temp
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime (even if small)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 dash salt
Graham cracker crusts: 1 deep dish (with leftovers) or 2 regular crusts or 12 mini crusts

Mix all ingredients until smooth. Pour in crust, cover, and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Serve cold.

Tips:

  • Microwave the lime and lemons for 20 seconds and roll on the counter to loosen the juices. 
  • Microwave the cream cheese for 30 seconds in a glass bowl to make it easier to mix. 

Garnishes:
  • Take an extra lime and slice thinly then cut half-way through on one side. Open and twist the sides in opposite directions. 
  • Add whip cream and lime zest.
  • Score the lime from top to bottom before slicing to add flair to the rind.
  • Eat it all right away before you have time to garnish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment